Today was my last day at our old apartment and home studio. More than my home for the last ten years, this is where my best friend and I completed our very first production run around the kitchen table, where hundreds (maybe even thousands) of harnesses and chokers were patterned, cut, hammered and riveted into being, where I let myself dream of things that seemed impossible, where I nearly punched a hole in the ceiling from jumping so high when I saw Lady Gaga wearing my bralette...this was the place where UNCUFFED was born. 
I've never shared this story because I haven't fully made sense of it myself, but it feels like the right time to at least try.
Let's go back in time, to about six years ago. I had a wonderful partner, the most incredible friends and a job I loved, but I kept feeling this ping of unfullfillment, no matter how hard I tried to push it away. After doing a bit of self work, I realized that I missed being creative and getting my hands dirty. I had painted all through my childhood and into my early twenties but then stopped pretty abruptly. At the time, I didn't feel like I had anything left to express or explore as a visual artist, but the idea of parlaying that creativity and self expression into something fashion-related had tremendous appeal for me.
I didn't know how to sew well and the idea of learning to use an industrial machine freaked me out so I somehow deduced that leatherwork was the answer. Over the coming weeks I took one leather-working class where I made a belt (with a fair bit of assistance) and watched a lot of online tutorials. 
One evening, I felt ready to start playing around. I didn't have any ideas or sketches, I was just planning on trying out some of the techniques I've seen online. This is where things get a little more difficult to explain. 
To this day, I don't really have an explanation for what happened - just a lot of gratitude. Was it a guardian angel, a close friend who recently passed or a higher power guiding? I truly don't know, but it certainly felt like something magical happened that night.
I remember sitting at my kitchen table and getting overwhelmed as I stared at leather scraps and tools that I had recently purchased but wasn't entirely sure how to use. The rest of the night is a blur. By the time the sun came up, there was a finished harness on my table with hand cut, shaped and molded roses. I still can't really remember how it happened if I'm being completely honest - but I couldn't shake the feeling that this was the start of something that would change my life. 
This pic is from that morning, taken at around 6am. My first ever harness. 


Additional content


Leave a comment

All blog comments are checked prior to publishing